Sunday, February 9, 2014

maple syrup

We're currently reading the Little House on the Prairie books. While we were snowed in on Monday, we read about making maple syrup and about the maple syrup candy they made in the snow. So we decided to make some of our own.

Here is the syrup ready to boil. There is actually a cup of it in the pan even though it doesn't look like it.



Getting plates of snow ready.



Ready to pour.



I need to perfect my pouring technique. I think we need thicker snow and to also pour the syrup a little thicker (which I couldn't do since the snow wasn't thick enough and the syrup was melting through).



Eating it. Everyone loved it - especially Gage. He wanted me to make more when it was gone and has asked many times if we can do it again. Piper would only eat it after I got all the snow off for her.



This is what it looks like. It's soft, but not really like anything else I can think of to compare it to. It's also very sticky.

No comments:

Post a Comment